(Because I have to take a break. Pshaw, internet forms, pshaw. Especially if they’re really stupid pdfs that need to be filled out FAIL and sent to like five different secretaries HUMANITY WHAT’S WRONGH WITH YOU *HATES*)
2. Female astronauts! PRETTY!
3. Goerge Takei in uniform, Brad Altman in a tinfoil, uh, headdress.
It was the tinfoil that totally sold the vid to me.
5. 10 Dinge die Sie nicht tun sollten beim Gottesdienst (Ten things you shouldn’t do during a mess)
5, 7, 8 = cool, but the transphobia in 6, not so much.
(Incidentally, this is the first vid that pops out if you search YT for “Gottesdienst”, hurr hurr)
6. Hilarious April Fool’s posts:
6a. by CERN:
“It’s awful”, explains Alain Grand, still shocked by the discovery. “It left horrible tracks inside the detector that made the physicists on duty at the time feel quite sick”.
6b. via Language Log, the best story of the year: Doctorow and Stross to Write Authorized Sequel to Atlas Shrugged
“But then we realized that both of us shared one important trait with Ayn Rand: all three of us really, really like money. That made it much easier for Cory and I to cash the seven figure check.”
Hurr hurr hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
6c. Silent no longer.
7. A very insightful post about framing reading books as a moral issue. While I dislike books like the Twilight series as the next sentient person, I also believe that arguing that they ARE BAD FOR THE CHILDRUNZ will get us nowhere. I mean, when you’re a 11 year old, you simply don’t notice stuff like sexism they way you notice it, say, even ten years later. I mean, I do know I would have hated Twilight even as a 11-year old, but only because it was boring, also romance, also boring. I was into Tolkien and Philip K. Dick when I was 11.
(OTOH, I think Justine Larbalesier goes on a crusade against strawmen when she argues that the issue of reading versus going to play outside is some sort of a problem. I seriously doubt there are parents telling their kids to not go outside to play BECAUSE BOOKS. C’mooooooon)
8. The “new written language” thing everybody and their cousin’s talking about. Seems like a load of bullshit to me, haven’t had the chance to look at the actual paper yet, though.