1. As it turns out, both my landlady and the new housemate are atheists! The housemate came out after I said I was studying Sumerian stuff. She started a monologue about LOL!Bible, which was riddled with tiny little inaccuracies.
I managed not to engage in a megalomaniacal monologue myself. These days, I try to show a little bit of restraint, and only do this in the privacy of my room.
With a mirror.
2. Dispatches from the Culture Wars had the most hilarious troll ever this week. I mean, no amount of quoting will do this guy justice. Every sentence he throws at us is like a little work of art, a pearl necklace, a set of Fabergé eggs next to the Russel’s teapot, a gem of entertaining vapidity all in itself.
But, to those who happened to read this blog, and read there. (If any) I apologize for my profanity. I should not have wrote it. I just get so angry when I see Socialist Liberals mocking a party that has done more good, than the Democratic Party has ever done. Further more, a party that still fights for America. Unlike the Terrorist appeasing Liberal Democrats.
I mean, I almost cried here! Anyway, Brain-Dead Socialist Liberal Science Blog Attacks Me (boy, it had all the things you didn’t like, huh? AWESOME), and The Ed Brayton War iI Over, Please (there were tissues involved here, because I cried a little). His About page is a quote-miner’s paradise:
Likes: Beautiful women, skinny women,
Dislikes: Fat women, (…) being overweight.
How cruel of me to resort to petty ad hominems, but, clearly, this just might be the reason why he’s single, hurr hurr. I mean, he should post more.
We wouldn’t need the telly if he wrote more.
3. A fucking awesome WWII veteran tells the bigots to stuff it (well, nah, he’s more classy than that, BUT AWESOME)
This reminds me to call my fucking badass Lieutenant grandmother, yarrr.
4. The Church of Sweden will gaymarry gays. Gayly!
5. Meanwhile, the veterans in the UK tell the BNP to kindly fuck off and leave the military alone. Why yes, this is what they mean by “The BNP are, quite honestly, a very unattractive group” *snerk*. But wait!
“The values of these extremists – many of whom are essentially racist – are fundamentally at odds with the values of the modern British military, such as tolerance and fairness.”
This is a good week for veterans!
6. This is also a good week for vaccines! Wired spanks the anti-vaccine movement thus:
“I used to say that the tide would turn when children started to die. Well, children have started to die,” Offit says, frowning as he ticks off recent fatal cases of meningitis in unvaccinated children in Pennsylvania and Minnesota. “So now I’ve changed it to ‘when enough children start to die.’ Because obviously, we’re not there yet.”
The doubters and deniers are empowered by the Internet (online, nobody knows you’re not a doctor) and helped by the mainstream media, which has an interest in pumping up bad science to create a “debate” where there should be none.
7. Meanwhile, in another corner of the internets Michael Shermer spanks Bill Maher for his vaccine denialism. YAY.
One of the most remarkable features of science is that it often leads its practitioners to change their minds and to say “I was wrong.”
8. Meanwhile, in real life, an awesome trans woman doctor, Marci Bower, is helping the victims of female genital mutilation (FGM) by doing “clitoralplasty” FOR FREE.
Fact: Marci Bower is so totally badass.
9. I watched this vid, because Dan linked it. I don’t know what other people saw, but what I saw was this:
Whoa, what a trainwreck!
Also, Rashomon, LOL.
10. A XIII century Maastricht church was turned into a bookstore. This is old news, but PICTURES PRETTY BOOKS ZOMD.
Also: hopefully, a time will come, when all churches will turn into sanctuaries of knowledge. BOOKS! I mean, BOOKS!
(Maastricht. That’s not too far from here. Hmm. BOOOOOOKS!)