Read only 100 pages. Feel unworthy to live.
Read only 100 pages. Feel unworthy to live.
Brb, gotta go to a doctor who is 100% sponsored by my taxes, so that I have to pay nothing for the visit.
OH THE HUMANITY
1. If at 14 you believe you’re ready to have children, you are of course wrong.
However, if ten or even twenty years later you persist in your
delusion belief that you were ready to have children at 14? You are totes not ready to have children still.
Hilary Mantel thinks you should be popping out children at 14, which is, like, absolutely not influenced by her being infertile and unhappy about it. Oh, I do realise it must be a terrible tragedy for her, but for some people? Getting pregnant at the age 14 is, too.
(Pity she’s such a douche, her books seem like something I could pick up when my brain needs several days in a semi-enjoyable stand-by mode)
2. How (Not) to Write About Africa. (Un?)surprisingly some of those boring, offensive, ridiculous, dehumanizing tropes still persist. Also, an audiovisual aid for those less willing to read (there’re no Morning Musume in there, I promise!):
3. NHK website about hikikomori (wiki on hikikomori). I just want to say, at first I snickered at the irony of NHK of all places having a website about hikikomori stuff, then I got sucked in and spent about two hours reading through the FAQ (STATISTICS!!!!!!!!11!1!!).
It’s in Japanese, though.
4. Shakesville post about rape culture. I just want to say, I’m sooooooo happy I don’t have to write it.
5. How to sell your snake oil thing, or any kind of woo, really. Should be read together with any of Orac’s excellent posts about woomeisters always blaming the patient.
6. I’ll freely and nonchalantly admit I only discovered it about a week ago: English without non-Germanic words, aka Uncleftish Beholding. I will also admit that my brain tells me to visualise “uncleftish” every time I hear/see the (non) word.
7. An interesting article about
the cancer that is killing vampire fiction like you could kill the cancer that is vampire fiction with a different cancer hurr durr Twilight and cultural appropriation. What it lacks is a mention of the problematic portrayal of Quileute in the books (ahahahahaha, BOOKS AHAHAHAHA) in the first place, but this can be easily found with the help of Google and some resourceful typing.
8. The crazy terrorist anti-tax guy who crashed into an IRS office is being white-washed by his daughter thus:
Asked whether she considered her father a hero, Stack’s adult daughter, Samantha Dawn Bell, said during a telephone interview broadcast Monday on ABC’s “Good Morning America”: “Yes. Because now maybe people will listen.” But she stressed that his actions were “inappropriate.”
The catch: the daughter lives in Norway. NORWAY! One would think a
greedy sociopath tax protester could find a better place to live than Norway:
– The basic tax rate is 28 % of the net income. The social security contribution is 7,8 % of the gross income. Therefore, the total tax rate rarely exceeds 36 %. However, on gross income exceeding NOK 456.400 (relevant as of salary grade 60) a surtax (toppskatt) of 9 % is levied. On gross income exceeding NOK 741.700 (relevant as of salary grade 82) a surtax of 12 % is levied. (source)
(Btw, the income tax is not all the tax that an individual has to pay in Norway. There’s also the so-called wealth tax, so in many cases you’d have to pay much moar)
(Mmmm, taxes <3)
9. I discovered Vox Day(1), the most odious person and at the same time the most pretentious cretin on the internets. Seriously. I expect to have time to make fun of him properly soon.
In other news, I’ve been hearing rumours about late (as in, in June) spring in Poland this year. I might have to reconsider my spring break plans.
Also, wisdom tooth is a whore.
(1) Bad pun is bad, especially as “dei” is totes not pronounced like that.
1. Figure skating is such a girly sport. Where by ‘girly’ clearly some sort of inferiority is meant.
This means that men who are exceptionally good at such a ‘girly’ thing can’t be, like, real men or something, like Johnny Weir:
“This may not be politically correct,” Mailhot said during the segment, in which Weir … was shown sporting a semi-sheer, pink-and-black costume he designed himself.
“But do you think he lost points due to his costume and his body language?”
Goldberg replied that Weir’s feminine style may reflect badly on other male figure skaters.
“They’ll think all the boys who skate will end up like him,” he said. “It sets a bad example.” (source)
Let me just-
There’s nothing offensive, insulting, ironic, sarcastic or cynical that could make this statement more ridiculous, absurd and surrealistic than it already is. Mailhot is so stupid he’s like a parody of himself.
“We should make him [Johnny Weir] pass a gender test at this point,” Goldberg said, and Mailhot then jokingly suggested Weir should compete in the women’s competition. (source)
As if his complete gender fail weren’t enough, Mailhot& Goldberg also had to be offensive to trans people. Is there some sort of award they give for that sort of idiotic, mindless, thickety thick clueless fuckwittedness? Because, I’d like to propose Mr Mailhot as a candidate.
Meanwhile, the rest of the world can enjoy Johnny Weir dancing to Lady Gaga’s Poker Face:
Somehow, the Koreans seemed pretty enthusiastic.
(I HATE PEOPLE WHO PREVENT ME FROM NOT CARING ABOUT THE OLYMPICS. MAILHOT WILL PAY ONE DAY)
2. The best game ever:
My review will be very short and to the point: UNICORNS!!!!!!!1!!!!!
(via MRW <3<3<3)
3. Also, in Oppenheim, Rheinland-Pfalz, where I currently reside, it’s all Suddenly!Spring. BIZARRE VERY BIZARRE.
A gay couple now lives in a flat that was left to the former pope by a “devout Catholic” woman in Madrid. Predictably, the Catholics are outraged.
The Pinoy Catholic writes despondently:
The Web site commented “The gay couple, who are now married, also against the Church’s wishes, now enjoy dinner parties showing the escrituras (deeds) of the flat with the name of the Pope.” [He never lived in the place. Obviously, the journalist and the gay couple WANT to draw attention, which they got, which irritates a devout Catholic like me. Cheap trick, isn’t it? Well, as they say in the PR world, “Any publicity is good publicity.] [emphasis mine]
2010: Catholics still outraged over the existence of gay people.
(TPC: I laugh at you!)
(TPC is chock-full of Catholic nonsense about
fairies, demons, exorcists and stuff. I bet he’d welcome some atheist trolls guests readers, I mean readers!)
Some moar Catholic existential angst from Clerical Whispers:
When a devout Catholic woman left her home in … in Madrid, to Pope John Paul II, she probably didn’t expect its future occupants to be a couple of homos. [emphasis mine]
OH NOEZ NOT THE HOMOS!!!11! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!
A typically non-humorous example of religionist humour:
Might we score an invitation?
We know of this delicious amuse bouche wafer.
Aw shucks. Is this the time of the year when we desecrate hosts again?
Meanwhile, the Universe continues cruelly not to care.
Bob the Tiny Grey Person is still suffering from Acute Cognitive Dissonance after reading that:
“(…)many assumed that the election of Barack Obama was the beginning of a period of post-racialism, a time when the politics of identity had lost some of its corrosiveness.”
in an article about an article about racial issues in Vogue, which said (the second article, hurr hurr) that POC are systematically underrepresented in Vogue. As a result of that criticism:
“In fact, Joanna Douglas, the writer of the piece, received a number of the threatening e-mail messages after the post was picked up by white supremacist sites and sources at the site say that the police have been contacted and an arrest is pending.” [emphasis mine]
Do we get to have white supremacists in a post-racial period, Bob the Tiny Grey person asked no one in particular, and his mental circuits promptly rebooted themselves.
Rebooted themselves ten times.
He’s been catatonic since then.
Anyway! The brave avant-garde of the fashion industry itself themselves again in its unending pursuit of douchebaggery, edginess and equal starvation for all women:
(source, with some moar faily blackface photos)
ETA: added tags *facepalm*